If you need to clean out a hoarder’s garage, you probably feel pretty overwhelmed. Unfortunately, many people use their garages more like storage units than places to park their vehicles. Over time, the space can become so cluttered that it’s practically unusable.
To clean the garage fast and efficiently, it helps to have a plan to get ready for a huge garage cleanout. If you live in the Greater Houston area, then one of the most important aspects of your plan should be renting a roll-off dumpster from Gainsborough Waste to help simplify the process. Let’s review.
Where Are You Dealing With a Hoarded Garage?
People end up dealing with hoarded garages for many reasons. Do you fall into one of these categories?
- You recently purchased a home, only to discover that the previous homeowner left the garage packed full of junk.
- Perhaps a good friend or relative has a hoarded garage. You’ve been enlisted to help clean it out and support their wellness.
- You may be a property owner whose tenants split, leaving a disaster in the garage.
Whatever the case may be, knowing how to clean out a hoarder’s garage will make everything go more smoothly.
We encourage you to set aside an entire day during nice weather for the garage cleanout. As we all know, the weather in Houston can be unpredictable! But, try to find a time where you can devote a full day to the cleanout. That way, you can move everything out onto the lawn and driveway, making it easier to clean out the garage without worrying about rain creating more issues.
When you decide on when you will take on this project, consider renting a roll-off dumpster from Gainsborough Waste. We’ll drop it off in front of your home or business so that you can quickly and easily dispose of everything from trash to large, bulky items like old furniture.
How to Clean Out a Hoarder’s Garage
When cleanout day arrives, follow these steps in your plan to make short work of even the messiest hoarded garage.
1. Stock up on supplies. Get the things you’ll need to fly through the process, including lots of garbage bags that you can toss in a roll-off dumpster. You might also want to gather some large, empty bins for sorting small items.
2. Perform a quick inventory. Scan through the garage to get the lay of the land, noting categories of items you see. Using a notebook, jot down the primary categories, which may include things like “furniture,” “sporting goods,” “clothes,” and “tools.” Next to each category, note what you will do with each type of item. For example, “keep,” “throw away,” “donate,” or “sell.”
3. Remove everything from the garage. Starting with the largest items, take everything out of the garage. Arrange items according to what you will do with them so that you can stay organized throughout the project.
4. Sort and categorize. With all of the large items out of the garage, remove the smaller stuff. Sort each item into piles or bins according to what you’ll do with them. Your roll-off dumpster can serve as your trash pile, providing a convenient place to toss out unneeded and unwanted stuff.
5. Clean out the inside. Once the garage is empty, dust and wipe down the garage walls and any shelves, going through each section of the garage. Use a large push broom to sweep the garage floor thoroughly.
6. Organize the items you will keep. Put everything that you want to keep back in the garage. If necessary, invest in shelves and bins to keep everything in order and to prevent the space from becoming hoarded again.
7. Get rid of the rest. Make sure to handle the things you’re getting rid of or donating right away. For donation items, you can drop off items at various locations throughout Houston. You can also start making a list of the items that you want to sell to neighbors, through a garage sale, or through online marketplaces.
For the rest of the items that you tossed in the dumpster and never want to see again, just let us know when the project is complete. Gainsborough Waste will pick up the dumpster according to your schedule. You’ll be all set!
Rent a Roll-off Dumpster for Easy Garage Junk Removal
You don’t have to stare at that overpacked garage anymore. It’s time to whip it into shape. We can help with fast, convenient service by delivering the right-size roll-off dumpster to your location.
Do yourself a favor and contact us today to discuss the size of the project. Our expert team will provide you with a recommendation of whether you need a standard 15-yard dumpster or something larger like one of our 20-yard, 30-yard, or even 40-yard dumpster for larger jobs.
The project will go much faster, and you won’t have to deal with transporting everything to the dump or stacking piles of trash bags on the curb. Call Gainsborough Waste today at 713-785-8050 to schedule your dumpster rental anywhere in the Greater Houston area!